Tuesday, July 15, 2008
This morning, I woke up late, with the intention of doing my laundry. I was unfortunately (fortunately?) interrupted by Kobi’s mother, who insisted on helping me (i.e. doing) the wash. Moral of the day: I am a pushover.
After the afternoon’s work, I feel like I need to pay back some kindness, and so I bring some of my early dinner outside with me and insist on sharing it with her. I’m actually quite proud of myself. The dish is a curry stew of chickpeas, peas, tomato paste, tomatoes and onions—my most ambitious to date. Oh, and I don’t have a can opener, so I’ve gotten pretty good at opening cans with really big knives. Beware when I return to Boston!
I tell Kobi that his mother is very determined, although I’m thinking stubborn, and he laughs and throws his head back. “Yes,” he tells me, “she is a very hardworking woman.”
I ask if the rooster that has been startling me awake each morning belongs to him. At first this leads to some confusion, so I flap my arms and let out a cross between a yelp and a shriek.
Kobi walks over to the tree, and tugs away some branches so that I can see a bright ball of feathers hidden among the branches. Suddenly, he grabs a skinny leg, dragging the cock squawking violently to the dirt at his feet.
He points at it, tossing me a toothy grin.
No comments:
Post a Comment