Monday, July 14, 2008

Lonely

Monday, July 14, 2008

Currently in my room trying to enter data on my computer. Unfortunately the single CFL in my room doesn’t make for excellent reading light, so I have my headlamp out just like the old days without power last summer.

It’s been a lonely few days. With the exception of the few hours a day I have been spending in the field, I am sometimes at a loss as to what to do with myself. Everyone from the team is still busy doing traffic counts in Jamestown (counting cars), and Raph is off on his honeymoon, so the hours when someone can work with me this week are kind of erratic. Yesterday it was in the morning from 6:30 – 9:30 AM. Which meant getting up at the glorious hour of 5:30 AM, to met Nazar and finish the gutter classification in Nima. Today it will be in the afternoon, working in East Legon. It’s good though, because this way I can finish gutter stuff in two neighborhoods this week. Then I will have a few weeks to do indoor water quality sampling and then the rest of my time to count trash piles! My work is so elegant…

Good news is that I am supposed to meet some other Harvard students who are in Accra tonight for dinner. I found out that the summer school is actually running a program here in Ghana this summer, so in a week or so that crowd will be back in the city and I may have a little company. For now I am making friends with Kobi’s mother, who is here to take care of the baby while Kobi’s wife is sick. It sounds as though, if all goes well, she will be back from the hospital in a few days. The baby cries all night and I hope that his mother gets well.

1 comment:

Nick said...

your blogging skills/diligence are on point! despite there not being many people around yet, seems like you feel pretty comfortable in your surroundings for the most part. Not standing out might be impossible, but its not always a bad thing right? Although i just went shopping in a nearly pitch black but super crowded market. For the first time I didn't stand out here and it was kind of refreshing...until ppl started bumping into me just like they bumped into everyone else. Any way, how's your "tree"(i know that's so wrong) coming? My hindi is vulgar at best and 60%incomprehensible on average. I know how to bargain though =D.